The EU General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679, and Data Protection Act 2018 mean that Fingal County Council must be fair in how it handles and stores any personal information we collect. The Acts protect personal privacy and rights of individuals by restricting how the Council uses and shares your personal information.
When you give us personal information, you have rights regarding how this information is used. Fingal County Council has a duty to keep your details private and safe.
We must protect any personal information that is:
- Held on computer
- Held on paper or in any other manual filing system
- In the form of photographs, video recordings, your image or recordings of your voice.
You have a right to be sure any personal information we hold is:
- Factually correct
- Only available to those who should have it
- Only used for the purpose for which it was given
When the Council records personal information about you, you have a right to:
- Have your details used in line with Data Protection Regulations
- Know what personal information we have and why we have it
- Change, remove, prevent or object to the use of personal information
- Find out when and why automated decision making is the only basis for making an important decision that affects you
- Remove your details from a direct marketing list
- Refuse direct marketing calls or mail
How to access your personal details
Under Section 3 of the Data Protection Acts, you have a right to find out, free of charge, if the Council holds information about you. You can also find out what information we have and why we have it.
The Council must respond to your request under Section 3 within 21 days.
Under Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts, you have a right to get a copy of any personal information we have in any format we have it. You are entitled to know where we got the information, how it has been used and if it has been passed on to anyone else.
To help us deal with your query Under Section 3 or Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts you may be asked for any of the following:
- Proof of identity
- Date of Birth
- Current or previous postal address
- Whether you need specific or all information held by the Council
All requests for personal data held by Fingal County Council must be made in writing by post or email to:
Data Protection Officer
Corporate Affairs & Governance Department, Fingal County Council, Main Street, Swords, Co. Dublin
Tel: 01 8905162
Upholding your rights – Data Protection Commissioner
If you feel the Council is not respecting your data protection rights, please contact us. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may contact the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner as follows:
The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
Canal House, Station Road, Portarlington, Co. Laois
LoCall: 1890 252 231, Telephone: 057 8684800, Fax: 057 8384757